Sunday, July 24, 2011

New Orleans - Bread Pudding capital!


It's been a while since I updated the blog, but I've been diligent in my research (and need a copy of P90X or Hip Hop Abs as a result). I spent almost a week in New Orleans, Louisiana, and had all manner of bread pudding because it was my duty. I will start with the penultimate BP from Muriel's Jackson Square. It blew me away and deserves a scale of its own; four slices does not do it justice. The texture was pudding perfection (for me, firm and slightly chewy, well integrated, with a firmer top and a smooth look), the serving was plentiful but not obnoxious, the pecan topping gave it character, and the rum sauce knew what it was and what to do. Notice there's no whipped cream or ice cream. Muriel's knows this BP can hold its own. I would drive back to NOLA just to have more of this.

Price: $8
Raisins: No
Sauce: Rum
Ice cream: No
Visited: June 2011

Now I can go in no particular order because the rest pale, however delightful they may have been prior to tasting Muriel's.

If you see bread pudding on the Acme Seafood menu, ignore it. I sent it back because it had no redeeming qualities. The texture was mush, the flavor was missing, and it was a ball of dough dumped into a pool of sauce. Ick.



Emeril LaGasse will live without me being impressed by the bread pudding at his eponymous restaurant. It's called warm sticky toffee pecan pudding cake and I thought it couldn't go wrong, but it did. The center was undercooked and for some unexplainable reason the pastry chef put a fruit with a skin in it (can't find my notes) and the skin was a total distraction from an already diminishing culinary experience. At least the ice cream was what it said it was, vanilla.

Price: $8
Raisins: No
Sauce: Satsuma Toffee
Ice cream: Vanilla
Visited: June 2011

Mulate's was consistent and lovely in every way. The BP was smooth in texture, flavorful and satisfying. It did not have a gimmick, it was just good.

Price: $6.99
Raisins: No
Sauce: Bourbon
Ice cream: No
Visited: June 2011

Dining al fresco at Court of Two Sisters was the perfect antidote to a stressful conference. The evening was blissful. The bread pudding was plum full of raisins but it tasted so good and buttery that I forgave it and my companion and I ordered two! It was soft and creamy and, did I say, buttery?

Price: I was treated
Raisins: Lots but it was ok
Sauce: Whiskey
Ice cream: No
Visited: June 2011

Palace Cafe's white chocolate BP is supposedly famous. I think it's slightly intriguing, and struck me more like an appetizer. The white chocolate is subtle, perhaps too much so. The texture is chewy, but too chewy, like I didn't get a fresh wedge. I liked the dark chocolate shavings.

Price: $6
Raisins: No
Sauce: White chocolate ganache
Ice cream: No
Visited: June 2011


These next three are just thrown in gratis - a plug for a fantastic breakfast at the Ruby Slipper. I didn't have a chance to get Bananas Foster so this French Toast version helped me not feel deprived. Wonderful service, too.





This pecan pie was artistically presented and quite tasty - certainly not the best I've ever had, but let me tell you that an evening at Commander's Palace can't go wrong. The homemade vanilla bean ice cream tasted like my mother's and that alone made the dessert special. I loved the salted caramel sauce!



This was also from Commander's Palace. I can't remember what it was, but the fresh whipped cream and ice cream filling were scrumptious. The outer ginger cookie was ok, but it did a fantastic job holding the dairy together.

1 comment: