Sunday, March 31, 2013

Spring Break Bread Puddings from VA to NC

I was lured to Meadowview, VA, to the Harvest Table Restaurant because I heard that they made great bread pudding.  Yes, I drove across the Virginia line just for BP.  Ok, I had a terrific lamb sausage burrito also, but it was mostly for the BP on the left.  I called weeks ahead and the young lady said I could choose the flavor.  Wow!  That's customer service.  We agreed that apple pie was the sure thing and yep, it was on the menu as apples and cinnamon.  The serving was HUGE, enough for several people to share (though I didn't).  I found it to be just OK, at moments decadent and buttery, and at other points dry because the custard didn't seep throughout.  The fresh whipped cream, however, was divine through and through.


The second photo is from a diner in Jonesborough, TN, the oldest city in the state.  We just happened upon the Old Courthouse Diner and saw this sign saying "Bread Puddin $1.99," which I took as a sign. There was no 'g.'  I ordered it to go and they gave me warming instructions.  Once we got to NC, I heated them both and had friends taste test.  You probably guessed that the $1.99 puddin showed several forks above the $7.00 pudding.  It reminded me of the cinnamon raisin biscuits from Hardees.  The appearance was almost like a saturated cornbread in look, but not texture.  It was a fun and tasty contest.

I had one more BP in Chapel Hill, NC, at Mama Dips.  I previously reviewed this restaurant so I figured it was a safe bet.  It was pineapple upside down BP, which offended my lodging host. She didn't expect fruit in the BP, and I had to tell her that I didn't get it for "us," I got her a few other desserts to sample.  We're still friends.




No comments:

Post a Comment