Tuesday, March 24, 2015

In Memoriam: Sunset Grill and Aura; Rumchata BP is the new truth

Gosh, it's been quite a while since I last posted. Restaurants in Nashville have come and gone. I just saw that Aura is no longer in operation. Also, I am grieving because Sunset Grill is closed. The habanero-butterscotch bread pudding is legendary in my taste buds. It's a sad time, though I know there is bread pudding in my future at one of the new hot spots around town.

If I've had new BP from a restaurant, lately, I can't remember, and with changes in phones, computers and internet services, who knows where the photos might be.

But as Oprah says in her magazine, O, one thing I know for sure is that RUMCHATA BREAD PUDDING IS MY NEW TRUTH! Oh my, a friend gave me a bottle of Rumchata and I thought, hmmm. I found a recipe online and have been smugly content since. It even inspired me to make my own Rumchata, well, actually horchata. I can finally use this rum I've brought from Panama and the Dominican Republic. With French bread or Italian bread, it's fantabulous.

I just tasted the first attempt by a convert friend, and hers is even better than mine. Cheers to TN (her initials, not Tennessee)!

3 comments:

  1. Thanks. I learned from the BEST.

    ReplyDelete
  2. How dare Rumchata remove the recipe! Here's one version:
    Ingredients
    1 Loaf Sweet Bread
    4 Eggs
    3/4 Cup Whole Milk
    1/2 Cup RumChata
    1/2 Cup Sugar
    2 Teaspoons Vanilla Extract
    1/2 Teaspoon Salt
    2 Teaspoons Cinnamon
    1/2 Teaspoon Nutmeg
    1/4 Cup Butter
    Warm Sauce Ingredients Below
    1/2 Cup Milk
    1/2 Cup Brown Sugar
    1/2 Cup Butter
    1/2 Cup RumChata
    Instructions
    Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Coat 13 by 9 pan with nonstick spray.
    Slice bread into thick 1 inch slices and tear into approximately 1-inch chunks and add to pan.
    In a large bowl add eggs, milk, Rumchata, sugar, vanilla, salt, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whisk.
    Pour over bread, pushing bread into mixture.
    Soften butter and pour over mixture.
    Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.
    Warm Sauce
    In a small pan add brown sugar, milk, and butter.
    Stir over medium heat.
    Continue stirring until starts to boil. Boil for 1-minute stirring consistently.
    Remove from heat and stir in Rumchata.
    Pour over servings of bread pudding. Top with whip cream and sprinkling of cinnamon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's the one I used:
    INGREDIENTS

    1 cup RumChata

    5 Large Beaten Eggs
    1 cup Milk
    2 tsp Pure Vanilla Extract
    ½ cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
    3 cups Cubed Italian Bread
    2 cups Granulated Sugar

    INSTRUCTIONS

    Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 13x9 pan. Mix together granulated sugar, eggs, milk and RumChata; add vanilla. Pour over cubed bread and let sit for 10 minutes. Pour bread mixture into prepared pan. Sprinkle brown sugar over the top and bake for 35-45 minutes or until set.

    ReplyDelete