Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Crest Cafe, San Diego


I got a Groupon for the Crest Cafe, again WAY far north of downtown. I cabbed up and was blessed with a bus for the trip back ($2.25). I was torn between breakfast and lunch because it all looked so soothing and satisfying, but I went with breakfast. On a recommendation, I had the creme brulee French toast and spicy chicken sausage. The FT was very good (orders of magnitude better than what I got that morning from the Embassy Suites breakfast buffet) but not extraordinary. For it to say creme brulee, I wanted to be wowed, instead of just filled.

But this blog is about BP, so I ordered their croissant BP. You know I wanted to really be wowed by this. I mean, that's one step below the elusive donut BP I've heard about. Well, I took it back to the hotel eventually and refrigerated it. I finally ate it at the airport the next day many hours later, and it was a soggy mess. First, I don't believe it was made with croissants because I didn't notice the layered flakiness. Admittedly, eating the BP 24 hours later after being treated ungently did not make for the best experience, but I question whether it would have been that impressive if I'd eaten it at the restaurant. Maybe. I'll give it a 2 because I don't know.

Bottom line is this diner is wonderful and quirky and maybe the BP is ok, but it's worth a $10 cab ride to try the rest of the food.

Price: around $8.00
Raisins: Yes, yellow mixed with chocolate chips. Ick
Sauce: Yes, unknown
Visited: January 2011

425 robinson ave
san diego, CA 92103
(619) 295-2510

No comments:

Post a Comment