Sunday, June 28, 2015

Carpe Cafe, Smyna, TN

Come on, really? This bread pudding taunted me for three days when I worked from the Cafe. This spot was an unexpected gem when I needed to be in the Smyrna area for the day. The cafe is known for its artists and its cinnamon rolls. I tried one the first day. the second day I had the hummingbird cake, a Tennessee classic in my world. It's bananas, walnuts, and spices. Finally, I felt I'd earned the right to order bread pudding with bourbon sauce.

The first amazing thing is the portion - I RARELY feel like I can't finish a serving. This ramekin was chock full of goodness. The initial bite told me something was different, It wasn't that it was in cubes, which seemed like the twice-baked potato model. They bake the BP, cutting the base into cubes, then cube it again when it's to be served. What surprised me was the lightness of the BP. It didn't taste dense like so many, The cinnamon wasn't overwhelming, nor was the sweetness. For a change, this BP needed the bourbon sauce. It would have been good enough without it, delicious with. Ok, I've kept you in suspense long enough. It's make from cinnamon rolls! The pastry chef makes cinnamon roll dough, bakes it, then cubes it for re-baking, with the custard. Actually, it's thrice-processed, since then it's re-cubed for each order, heated and doused with sauce.

Bravo! Go to the "downtown" square of Smyrna, have a scrumptious lunch and treat yourself to BP, or have it for breakfast!

Carpe Cafe

June 2015

1 comment:

  1. Thank you so much for this lovely description of our "secret" bread pudding for enticing others to give it a try. In the south, BP is usually a love/hate relationship and I'm not generally a fan, but when we created this recipe I've been on board since day one!! How can you go wrong with made from scratch cinnamon roll dough, hand made custard and then the bourbon sauce topping - YUM!!! Thanks again - see you soon.

    ReplyDelete